Saturday 3 October 2015

Kromac, Champion of the Wurm - Now with added play experience!

Hey all, It's Aaron Wilson here / PGSadPander on the forums! I'm back with another post about Kromac2. My last blog broke him down, his spells, his feat and what I thought my list might look going forward. Well I'm now 7 games in with this guy and I thought I'd share my experience with him so far and what I've learned.

I've paired Kromac2 with Kreuger2. The list I've been running for Kromac2 is as follows -

Kromac, Champion of the Wurm
Druid Wilder
Ghetorix
Warpwolf Stalker
Pureblood Warpwolf
Lord of the Feast
Blackclad Wayfarer
Blackclad Wayfarer
Shifting Stones
Stone Keeper
Shifting Stones
Druids of Orobos
Druids of Orobos Overseer.

Out of the 7 games I've played I have l won 4 and lost 3, the best thing about the losses is I know why I've lost each time. I may have been too cautious with the feat and held it for too long, or like in my first game with Kromac2 popped it way too early and didn't quite hold it until it was relevant. I'll break down the list for you guys so hopefully you get an idea why each model is in it.

Lets start with Kromac2, well boy this guy is baller to play, our first proper front line warlock and he does it well. I find my self having the choice each turn of casting Carnage or Primal Howl after I've upkept Awakened Spirit. Generally if I'm feating and going in deep primal howl is what I'll look for here. The feat negates a little of the need for Carnage and on the feat turn you're not looking to drop high defense targets, rather the low defense meatier ones. Primal howl will keep Kromac2 alive in isolation in most instances under feat turn against living model melee assassinations. If you're pressuring scenario by keeping Kromac2 in the zone primal howl is normal high on the priority list to cast. If you're not in any immediate danger and you're not pressuring quite so hard, carnage is never a bad spell to throw down.

The wilder is pretty key to the list to help the fury management and I've found best run as a module with the Pureblood Warpwolf. If you're playing a spread out scenario having these two waddle around as a pair is ace, a fully boosted spray each turn for 0 fury is a amazing piece of kit. If you're not spreading out, she's still amazing and the best fury management outside of stones. I often find my self either stripping fury off a beast, or throwing a lightning strike onto ghetorix.

Ghetorix, do we need to say more?

Warpwolf stalker is amazing (Durr, who knew eh?) give him awakened spirit and let him berserk under carnage until his heart is content only to sprint, so far spending 0 fury! This guy under what Kromac2 offers is just the ticket.

Pureblood, well the more I play him the more I love him. As you will notice I have no gorax in my list so I have no primal. The Pureblood animus therefore is double important as in some cases (Fortify, Arcane shield, ect ect) Wraithbane is as good (Or better) then a primal. Not only that but the spray is so solid, warp ghostly, walk out spray that Eiryss, Gorman, Anastasia ect in the back lines. In a list where it's hard to get those annoying solo pieces this guy shines. That's on top of his solid animus, and the ability to bring serious pain under the feat also.

Lord of the Feast, well I'm being quite greedy here. This guy is essentially the gorax slot, but I've playing greedy and taking LotF instead and I'm really glad I am! This guy is a machine, which we all knew. He will either buy you a whole turn by engaging a unit and forcing them to take him out (An example being I charged two Dawnguard Sentinels, cleared up both, shot another and killed 3 more and the unit then had to vengeance to remove him). He's other primary role is getting to the real back support pieces (Looking at choir, beast handlers, ect) or at the very least run to engage a unit (Gun mages, Stryder Rangers) force a CMD test and engage the unit. Overall I'm always glad this guy is in my list.

The double blackclads, I think we all know why we love the blackclad. A 2" threat extension, a solid spray or rapid deployment.

Double stones, again no surprise here. Fury management, in a list where you want to brick more often then not they let you break from the brick turn after without worrying about charge vectors, ect.

Druids with UA. I know druids are 50/50 with circle players, some people dislike them and think they don't do enough, some people adore. I adore them, counter magic, elemental protection, people ALWAYS having to worry about me going fishing with force bolts for free trades as well as the clouds to finish the brick off. Under a druid cloudwall and primal howl Kromac2 can be looking at 18/18, or under feat 18/20 with 19, that's ludicrous stats. Oh and to top that all of, you can't cast spells at me. 

Over all I love how the list plays, though a lot of this comes down to Kromac2. He is an amazing warlock and a real breath of fresh air to the faction, never have I been able to feat, charge and one shot a raek, just with my warlock! He's play a solid scnenario game in a non control way, mroe in a "I'm probably going to eat if you're close" way?. Drop him in a scenario zone and your opponent has the question of feeding him, or not contesting. Under the brick the assassination attempts should look very bad for the opponent. With the stones and druids you still have circle movement shenanigans paired with models to get to the back line / remove key solo and support pieces.

Well, that's my run down of Kromac2 so far. How are you finding him so far, whether it be playing against or with him?

3 comments:

  1. He does seem really fun to play and powerful too

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is really fun to play, it's just a really different for play style for the faction, which he is effective at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kromac, Champion of the Wurm - WB: +4
    - Druid Wilder
    - Ghetorix - PC: 11
    - Pureblood Warpwolf - PC: 9
    - Warpwolf Stalker - PC: 10

    Blackclad Wayfarer - PC: 2
    Blackclad Wayfarer - PC: 2
    Lord of the Feast - PC: 4

    Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2
    - Stone Keeper - Keeper 1
    Tharn Bloodtrackers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
    - Nuala the Huntress - Nuala 2

    I tried your list, it works. I took out the Druids and a set of stones and then put in the Bloodtrackers and their UA. Seems to be more offensive now.

    ReplyDelete