Saturday 23 January 2016

Battle report: Game 1 without Warders.

Warders are dead, PP are now GW and Trollbloods are useless without EE. False! 

Get a grip keyboard warriors, you're being stupid. Warders have lost weapon master but as a faction trolls are still in a good place. Instead of using warders for an offensive output and an auto include, I will now use them to hold zones in certain lists. Simple. Do they fit in my Madrak2 list any more? No. Will I use them with pGrissle and other lists? Yes.

Warders used to be the heavy hitters in my Madrak list. Before the errata, I had been thinking of using a second unit of Fenns due to their extended threat range and table presence. One game in and I'm  happy I purchased that second unit. They might not survive like Warders, but boy I love Fenns.

This morning, I went round Aaron's for a game vs his Skorne. Between you and me, I had been on a bit of a loosing streak against my arch nemesis and was just looking to get a game in. Knowing he had fist and a pretty solid Makeda2 list, I was ready for another uphill battle against a solid opponent. 

As I said earlier, my Madrak list has changed. Two units of Fenns, a unit of Kriels and a unit of Fire eaters now made up most of my force. Fell callers, Saxon and a chronicle sprikled flavour on a Troll meat sandwich. 

I deployed my Kriels up front to take the hit. Without the Warders, I was looking to make the most of Blood Fury on the Fenns. He went first and ran up (standard play). I did likewise. 

Turn 2 started with Khan killing some Kriels, tough rolls being made and importantly, the Fenns on the left gaining vengeance. My turn two had me clear the left zone and get in his face. Minimal damage was done to his gladiator but the scenario game had begun.

Now, here is where I have to be honest. This is where Madrak should have died. I clicked my clock over and went 2-0 up. That's when I noticed Khan and a Bronzeback (proxy base) could prob at get to me. Unfortunately, Aaron had seen the same opening. 

Models were moved, dice were rolled and again tough rolls were had. Tough saved me in this game; I must have made over fifteen tough rolls. While he did get Khan to Madrak, he left him on 6 boxes and a transfer. I retaliated my killing all three of his beasts. Yes I had to pop feat and use blood fury. It was glorious. Not only that, I cleared the zone again. 4-0 to me.

This was when Aaron failed his mental command check. He put engine of destruction on himself and then failed a change on Madrak. Why did he not measure his controll area? I don't know. He was broken by this point. 


I ended the game by killing a contesting beast handler then still rolled to kill Makeda. 6-0 to me (although apparently you can only get 5).

On reflection, I got lucky with tough rolls and Aaron was unlucky to trigger an early vengeance move. However, I loved the threat range of the Fenns and how I wasn't slowed down by Warders.
It's only one game, but trolls are certainly not dead. 


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like Aaron had some... tough luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good game and Dan deserved the win, tough rolls aside.

      Delete
  2. Great report, glad to see Aaron get the wind taken out of his sails, even if it was down to tough rolls :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaa what's with the Aaron hate Xtian? Fist it is for you next time we play!

      Delete
  3. Great report, glad to see Aaron get the wind taken out of his sails, even if it was down to tough rolls :p

    ReplyDelete