Thursday 21 January 2016

Spell draft a lesson in balance

Hi

I am a poor to average, but very enthusiastic player of war machine. I play Ret, Skorne and Rhullic with about a 20% win to lose ratio.

I played in a recent spell draft and got legion, legion and legion as my opponents, I played Ret with Rahn.

I finished second, losing to a list I had no chance against in the final, but got 4 CP'S

I beat pval, eval and lost to abby2.

So what, well I drafted some spells that made my troops uber good, 8 spells but three of note, fury, savagery and muzzle, all spells that do not get much attention as they are hardly game busting in thier home factions. So fury, that went on my halbs with UA so on mini feat turn, mat8 p+s 17, I killed 5 legion heavies, savagery on my battle mages, they ran like light cavalry, finally muzzle on Rahn plus feat, it shut down legion beasts.

What did I learn? Some of these spells I have in Skorne and, well they are situational  and can be good but not game breaking. In my Ret I killed lists that when I play as pure Ret I normally get stuffed by (not a great player) legion. I played eVal again last night with Rahn and died T2 . I got a draft that gave me spells that clearly PP had no intention of my faction getting and I rocked.

I finally understood how easy it is for PP to be able to break the game with spells that on paper are so so.  I, like all, rage at times to the injustice of some factions getting x (doomy3, hayley3, etc) whilst mine get eZaal and thyron (who I am told is good but I plain suck with). I see complete nerd rage with the new errata, having faced EE and ROW, trust me from the other side it is truly no fun if you are a poor to average player.

What did spell draft teach me, PP are doing a great job getting the balance right, they don't get it right all the time, but if they do want to get it wrong please give Ret access to muzzle and fury.

If anyone wants a game at somgcon, I will be happy to play, but expect me to grumble about dice at some stage, because I can fail to roll a 6 to hit 11 times in a row, then feel guilty when I roll a 12 for damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment