Tuesday 2 February 2016

Battle report: Throwing Armour at Denny1

"Denny1 can't deal with armour," said nobody. No one says that. No one thinks that.

This evening, I thought that throwing Runes at her (with my arm 23 Mulg and 17 Runeshapers) would be worth a try. Here is how it went.
Playing scenario 2 (can't remember the name) James won the roll to go first. I chose the table edge with the wall and then placed mine down. My thoughts were that having two walls would cause issues for the Bane thralls.

James moved up, pressing the Banes agaisnt my zone and using the Mechanithrals on his. In return, I moved up, tried to stay out of charge range and got spells and fury ready for later turns. Importantly, Mulg had banishing ward on him. I didn't want Mulg to be parasited and cursed - the Banes would have loved that.


James then ran up, cast parasite on one unit of Runeshapers and crippling grasp on another. Only when writing this have I realised that Doomy1 has purification. Hey ho, lesson learnt.

I took advantage of going second by clearing the bone jack , destroying the objecting and dominating my zone. The wall was protecting Mulg (proxy base) and I hoped that the Runeshapers on the right could hold. 2-0 to me. 

Next, James feated. He began his turn by feating with Denny. Man the feat hurt. Once the cloud had lifted, Mulg was on about 7 boxes, my right flank was gone and I had odd Runeshapers left. My force was crippled for a turn and I couldn't do much.

As a result, I had Mulg frenzie onto a bane and just killed the odd thing. I couldn't put a wall down due to her feat and I had to try and survive another round. Tarter sauce did die after a trembler and two rock hammers. The curse was gone at least.

The start of the fourth turn James cleared his zone again and dominated it for 1. Importantly for me, he left Mulg on 1 box after multiple attacks and had dealt only one wound to my objective. 

Here was my opening. I was about to loose Mulg, my objective and eventually the game. I had 21 minutes left, James had 8. A clock win could have happened, but I wanted a kill.

First, I moved the Mauler to double handed throw a model at a Bane (the bane was between Mulg and Denny)
I boosted and killed both models. Task one complete.Next, I removed the Bane engaging Mulg (I didn't want him to free strike my almost dead beast). Afterwards, I had the stone move and put up protective aura and stone strength. 

Then, before activating Mulg (my troll version of a MHA) I had Doomy heal him to have a box in each aspect, gave him rush and cast fortune on him. The time had come.

Having been hurt the previous turn, Mulg was relentless. With rush he was now charging 11inches for free due to Fuel cache. Here was where I nearly lost the game.

I stupidly charged the bloat thrall near Denny instead of the bitch herself. I could have charged her, but I didn't. Instead, I killed the Bloat with my first and gave him the chance to kill Mulg with the subsequent explosion. Thankfully, Mulg was arm21 and the dice didn't save him. 

Mulg then swung his Pow 20 club at Denny. She was dead after boosting to hit twice and damage once.
So what did I lean? 

Armour doesn't stand up well to Denny1 and cryx in general. I got lucky with Mulg being left on a box and even luckier surging the bloat thrall mistake.
James played well and was up on attrition. Time wise, I think I played it well but that was because I was having modes removed, while James still had plenty to activate. Overall, I felt I was lucky in the end but did enough to keep myself in the fight.

I'm not planning on dropping armagaisnt Cryx again. Runes certainly isn't a good drop agaisnt them. Then again, what is a good Cryx drop?

3 comments:

  1. You can totally put down a wall under Denny1's feat. She prevent *Attacks, not *Actions. Shuts down Rock Hammer, but most other things the 'shapers can do are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Good job Mulg was left on one. Thanks for that. Opponent clearly got it wrong when he told me his feat. Must read the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World’s Best Social Trading Network!

    Join millions who have already discovered easier methods for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from experienced eToro traders or copy their trades automatically

    ReplyDelete