Saturday 13 June 2015

Trying The Tuffalo


For a long time these have been lauded as the premier heavy cavalry in warmahordes, I just got me some. Over the next few weeks I will playing these alot in the various Troll lists I build and I will report back my experiences.
Looking at them they bring decent speed for Trolls but not great when compared to other cavalry models. Decent enough elites level attacks, ok infantry level armour and boxes, with troll defence. So what do I see them doing with my warlocks?
My bear is getting painted, so I will be playing them in Borka 2, in tier. Sadly I don't have the party bus so will be stopping at tier 3. Borka 2 has nothing then to help their speed. Snow shroud I think realistically won’t really make much of a difference to their defence. My plan of attack revolves around the feat so the tuffalo won’t be out pacing the army so should have healthy armour as they should not really be leaving the stone aura. Run up, feat and counter with a ton of beasts supported by the tuffalo/Horthol on the flanks. The points discount for them is great.

Jarl Skuld is another lock I use and the speed buffs he brings I think can make the tuffalo more dangerous, quicken is great on anything but I think the star spell here will be tactical supremacy, the 3" reposition will be great for trying to set up the bull rush. Jarls feat may provide interesting opportunities for using the tuffalo as a second wave, using quicken and clouds to get through the trolls who have held the enemy front line in place to clear them with slams, then having the front line (something fighty like champs) leap frog back through the tuffalo to re-engage the now slammed enemy. Will it be complicated as hell to pull off? Yes! Will I still try it? Yes!

Madrak1 is another lock I intend to put the tuffalo to work with. I play a beast brick with Madrak but I find taking and contesting the objectives with this list sometimes a struggle, the tuffalo will be a flanking support element so I'm not sure how they will be benefit from Madraks spell list, sure foot will be no where near them and they hit pretty good anyways without carnage. I’m unsure what kind of mileage they will get out of the feat, as they are all about the rush, but free hits is free hits.

I pretty much play Borka 1 exclusively in family reunion so I don’t see a place for them here, but out of tier? The feat helps for a little extra movement but iron flesh stops them bull rushing and they will probably be knocking down things on their own so won’t need the help from mosh pit. Wind wall seems pointless with them as well as that would mean they are in the centre of the brick, which would limit there manoeuvrability. So probably no for Borka 1.

So am I expecting great things from them? Sadly no, I don't think they can have the impact on the game that justifies the cost, when I play against trolls I don't often see them, but hopefully I can report back soon how wrong my initial assessment is.

No comments:

Post a Comment